Paddle to the Mendenhall Glacier with
your own Private Guide & Canoe
Private Guide, Beautiful Scenery, Glacier Exploration
$399 per person + tax
Meet at "C" Sign by the Mount Roberts Tramway
Experience The Trip
Enjoy the Mendenhall Glacier Privately
The Private Glacier Canoe Paddle and Trek is the more intimate version of our popular Glacier Canoe Paddle and Trek.
While all participants must be able to physically partake in this tour the private experience can be customized to meet the pace and physical ability of participants, as well as most special considerations you may have.
Your adventure begins on the shore of the Mendenhall Glacier Lake with paddle instruction from your private glacier/canoe guide. We’ll load our gear into our large canoes, and paddle together across the cool waters – the Mendenhall Glacier, always in sight, is our destination! Glide past Arctic Tern nesting grounds, and observe the mist generated by Nugget Falls while paddling in unison to the ice.
We’ll travel in 12 person canoes expertly skippered by 1 to 2 guides. Our fleet can accommodate groups of 8-12 guests. If your group doesn’t meet the minimum of 8 participants, please consider the Private Mendenhall Glacier Trek.
As we approach the glacier, keep your eyes open for freshly calved ice bergs and feel the cool breeze generated by the ice. Your private guide will navigate to the beach and land the canoe. After landing by the glacier, follow your guide across the rocky landscape to the ice to explore an array of formations found along the edge – perhaps you’ll peer into the deep blue well of a moulin or ice cave, or explore a new conduit or tube cut by melt water.
After an out-of-this world experience, we’ll return to our canoes and enjoy paddling back with the wind at our backs.
**The Mendenhall Glacier is receding at a fast pace and due to this we are seeing drastic changes to the surface of the glacier. For this reason, it is not safe to walk on the glacier. This trip will spend time exploring the glacier up close and hiking around the edges of it safely from the bedrock. The edge of the glacier has some of the most stunning features you will find; this is where ice formations, tunnels, and tubes tend to form creating those beautiful blue colors. These features are never guaranteed but do form throughout the summer.
Our Trips Are Outstanding
ABAK has been pioneering glacier exploration for 20 years.
The Trip Itinerary
About 6 Hours
Pick up from Downtown
Van Transportation to ABAK
Gear Outfitting & Orientation, Transport to Mendenhall Lake
Get to know your guide and gear before heading to the Lake!
Questions about gear sizing?
Guided Canoe Trip across the Mendenhall Lake
Paddle Instruction Included!
Hiking and Exploration!
Get up close to the Mendenhall Glacier and explore all the features along the edge!
Return Canoe Trip across the Mendenhall Lake
Return to Headquarters to De-Gear
Pick up some ABAK souvenirs and us our Indoor Restrooms
Van transport back Downtown
Thanks for joining us!
Client Pickup Information
Located at the base of the Mt. Roberts Tramway, the C-Sign is ABAK’s primary downtown meeting location for cruise passengers and clients staying in the downtown area.
Clients arriving at AJ Dock:
Clients who dock at the AJ Dock within 30 minutes of the ABAK pick-up time will be picked up directly from AJ DOCK.
Clients staying Locally:
Clients can be picked up from any major hotel in the Mendenhall Valley.
Clients staying at major hotels in the Downtown area will meet at our Downtown meeting location.
ABAK is unable to provide pick-up in residential neighborhoods. Clients staying at private residences, Air BnB’s, VRBO’s, or have own transportation please contact our office for meeting location information at 907-364-2333 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
$399.00 per person + 5% sales tax = $418.95 per person
Group Size: Min of 8, Max of 12 (for groups of 6-7 or 13 or more please contact our office).
Minimum Age: 12 years old.
Maximum Weight: 250 lbs. per participant
Clients must be able and conditioned to paddle for up to 5-6 miles round trip and hike on uneven terrain for up to 2 miles round trip.
Included In The Price
- Professional guides
- Roundtrip van transport
- All paddling equipment & glacier gear
- US Forest Service permits
- Rain gear (hooded jacket, rubber boots and pants)
- Hearty, healthy snacks & bottled water
- All glacier safety gear including helmet, micro-spikes, harness, and trekking poles if needed.
Not Included In Price
- Hot shower at the end of the day. But you can book your stay with us.
- Professional Photography
- Gratuity for your Private Guide: If you feel that your guide went Above and Beyond to facilitate an exceptional experience, a gratuity is a welcomed way to show your appreciation.
- This trip operates in all weather conditions (barring unsafe conditions, to be determined by ABAK) – it is very important to dress to get wet.
- Clients must disclose information regarding pertinent medical conditions/history, allergies and any type of restriction or limitation that might introduce a higher degree of challenge on this trip.
- Accessing ice caves, moulins, or any other glacial feature is not guaranteed: Due to the dynamic nature of the Mendenhall Glacier features are in constant change. Your guide will assess each available feature prior to accessing to determine if it’s safe to explore. The Mendenhall Glacier is receding on a daily basis and due to this we are seeing significant changes to the surface of the glacier. There are very limited safe areas to access and explore on the ice with crampons. Safety is our number one priority and we can not guarantee every trip will hike on the glacier. We assess conditions day to day. The edge of the glacier has some of the most stunning features; caves, tunnels, tubes, and crevasses which create those beautiful blue colors.
- Every participant must sign a Release of Liability/Assumption of Risk Form at the start of the trip. Alterations and/or deletions to the form are not permitted.
- Due to various fitness abilities and weather variables, we prefer clients not schedule other excursions directly before or after our trip. Please let us know if your clients have another excursion booked on the same day.
- Due to inherent risks involved in this type of tour, pregnant guests are not permitted to participate.
- Clients must be able and conditioned to paddle for up to 5-6 miles round trip and hike on uneven terrain for up to 2 miles round trip. All clients must know how to swim.
- Due to canoe capacity, maximum Per Person Weight is 250 lbs.
Departure Times: Please contact us directly to arrange your private tour
Dates of Operation: May 1st – September 25th, 2022
Group Size Requirements: Min of 8, Max of 12 (groups of 6-7 or 13+ please contact our office)
Minimum Age: 12 years old.
Everyone must be in good enough physical condition to assist in paddling the canoe 5-6 miles and hike up to 2 miles. The smallest shoe size we can accommodate is size 2. The largest shoe size we can accommodate is 14. We do not permit clients to carry their infants/toddlers due to safety concerns.
Activity Level: Moderate to Strenuous, but no experience necessary.
- Name of client(s)
- Cell phone contact number of client
- Desired trip date and departure time
- Name of cruise ship or hotel
- Participants’ ages, especially anyone under the age of 18
- Rain gear & shoe sizes (please specify male or female)
- Any pertinent medical issues, allergies or dietary restrictions
- Primary language spoken, if other than English