Paddle to the Mendenhall Glacier with
your own Private Guide & Canoe
Canoe, Glacier Trekking
Beautiful scenery, trekking on a glacier, private guide
$499 per person + tax
Meet at Main Office for tour transport
Experience The Trip
Enjoy the Mendenhall Glacier Privately
The Private Glacier Canoe Paddle and Trek is the more intimate version of our popular Glacier Canoe Paddle and Trek.
While all participants must be able to physically partake in this tour the private experience can be customized to meet the pace and physical ability of participants, as well as most special considerations you may have.
Your adventure begins on the shore of the Mendenhall Glacier Lake with paddle instruction from your private glacier/canoe guide. We’ll load our gear into our large canoes, and paddle together across the cool waters – the Mendenhall Glacier, always in sight, is our destination! Glide past Arctic Tern nesting grounds, and observe the mist generated by Nugget Falls while paddling in unison to the ice.
We’ll travel in 8 person or 12 person canoes expertly skippered by 1 to 2 guides. Our fleet can accommodate groups of 5-7 guests, or 10-12 guests. If your group doesn’t the minimum of 5 participants, please consider the Private Mendenhall Glacier Trek.
As we approach the glacier, keep your eyes open for freshly calved ice bergs and feel the cool breeze generated by the ice. Your private guide will navigate to the beach and land the canoe. After suiting up with gear, follow your private guide across the rocky landscape to the ice. Step onto the glacier and explore an array of features – perhaps you’ll peer into the deep blue well of a moulin or ice cave, or traverse along crevasses cut deep by melt water.
After an out-of-this world experience, we’ll return to our canoes and enjoy paddling back with the wind at our backs.
**Ice caves, while extraordinarily beautiful, are not always present, accessible, or safe to enter. Access to any glacier feature, including ice caves, is not guaranteed.
Our Trips Are Outstanding
ABAK has been pioneering glacier exploration for over 17 years.
Our Glacier Canoe Paddle & Trek is our most popular tour and here’s why:
- 5 star ratings
- 6.5 Hour Tour
Get the most out of your trip to the glacier.
- 1 Guide: 7 Clients
A low Guide to client ratio make for a more personal experience.
- Safety and Gear
Harness, helmet, microspikes, trekking poles, and all guides trained in advanced wilderness first aid.
- Indoor Bathroom Option
Full warehouse facility including bathrooms & luggage storage.
- We're Experienced
16 years leading tours on the glacier.
The Trip Itinerary
About 6.5 Hours
Meet at Main Office
Van Transportation to Trailhead
Gear Outfitting & Orientation, Transport to Mendenhall Lake
Get to know your guide and gear before heading to the Lake!
Questions about gear sizing?
Guided Canoe Trip across the Mendenhall Lake
Paddle Instruction Included!
Hiking and Trekking!
Strap on the micro-spikes and step onto the glacier ice!
Return Canoe Trip across the Mendenhall Lake
Return to Headquarters to De-Gear
Pick up some ABAK souvenirs and us our Indoor Restrooms
Thanks for joining us!
Client Pickup Information
In accordance with our COVID-19 mitigation policy, all 2021 guided trips will meet at our main office location at their scheduled tour start time for outfitting and transportation to/from tour site. Please contact our office for meeting location details, parking, and information.
Our centralized meeting location is the “C” Sign, located directly between the base of Mount Roberts Tramway and the green Taku Smokeries building near the cruise ship terminal. All clients cruising to Juneau will be pick up here.
Clients arriving at AJ Dock:
Clients on cruise ships docking at the AJ Dock with 30 minutes or less between their ship’s arrival time and ABAK’s trip departure time will be picked up directly from the pier at AJ Dock.
Clients staying Locally:
Clients staying at major hotels in the Mendenhall Valley, Downtown, Airbnb or VRBO please contact us at 907-364-2333 for details on meeting location.
$499.00 per person + 5% sales tax = $523.95 per person
Group Size: Min of 5 and max of 12. Groups of 5-7 people are required for a small canoe. 10-12 people required for a large canoe. For groups of 13 or more please contact.
Minimum Age: 12 years old.
Maximum Weight: 250 lbs. per participant
Clients must be able and conditioned to paddle for up to 5-6 miles round trip and hike on uneven terrain for up to 2 miles round trip.
Included In The Price
- Professional guides
- Roundtrip van transport from meeting location
- All paddling equipment & glacier gear
- US Forest Service permits
- Rain gear (hooded jacket, rubber boots and pants)
- Hearty, healthy snacks & bottled water
- All glacier safety gear including helmet, micro-spikes, harness, and trekking poles if needed.
Not Included In Price
- Hot shower at the end of the day. But you can book your stay with us.
- Professional Photography
- Gratuity for your Private Guide: If you feel that your guide went Above and Beyond to facilitate an exceptional experience, a gratuity is a welcomed way to show your appreciation.
- This trip operates in all weather conditions (barring unsafe conditions, to be determined by ABAK) – it is very important to dress to get wet.
- Clients must disclose information regarding pertinent medical conditions/history, allergies and any type of restriction or limitation that might introduce a higher degree of challenge on this trip.
- A specific amount of time on the ice cannot be guaranteed. The amount of time on the glacier is dependent on the group’s pace and weather conditions.
- Accessing ice caves, moulins, or any other glacial feature is not guaranteed: Due to the dynamic nature of the Mendenhall Glacier features are in constant change. Your guide will assess each available feature prior to accessing to determine if it’s safe to explore.
- The Mendenhall Glacier is receding on a daily basis and due to this we are seeing significant changes to the surface of the glacier. There are very limited safe areas to access and explore on the ice with crampons. Safety is our number one priority and we can not guarantee every trip will hike on the glacier. We assess conditions day to day. You will at least get to touch it and set foot on it. In addition, the edge of the glacier has some of the most stunning features; caves, tunnels, tubes, and crevasses which create those beautiful blue colors.
- Every participant must sign a Release of Liability/Assumption of Risk Form at the start of the trip. Alterations and/or deletions to the form are not permitted.
- Due to various fitness abilities and weather variables, we prefer clients not schedule other excursions directly before or after our trip. Please let us know if your clients have another excursion booked on the same day.
- Due to inherent risks involved in this type of tour, pregnant guests are not permitted to participate.
- Clients must be able and conditioned to paddle for up to 5-6 miles round trip and hike on uneven terrain for up to 2 miles round trip.
- Due to canoe capacity, maximum Per Person Weight is 250 lbs.
Departure Times: Please click on the Book Your Trip tab for updated departures or contact us directly
Dates of Operation: May 1st – September 30th, 2021
*Due to diminishing daylight hours in September, limited afternoon departures will be offered during the month of September. Please inquire for availability.
Group Size Requirements: 5-7 people for a small canoe
10-12 people for a large canoe **Groups of 13 or more please contact
Minimum Age: 12 years old.
Everyone must be in good enough physical condition to assist in paddling the canoe 5-6 miles and hike up to 2 miles. The smallest shoe size we can accommodate is size 2. The largest shoe size we can accommodate is 14. We do not permit clients to carry their infants/toddlers due to safety concerns.
Activity Level: Moderate to Strenuous, but no experience necessary.
- Name of client(s)
- Cell phone contact number of client
- Desired trip date and departure time
- Name of cruise ship or hotel
- Participants’ ages, especially anyone under the age of 18
- Rain gear & shoe sizes (please specify male or female)
- Any pertinent medical issues, allergies or dietary restrictions
- Primary language spoken, if other than English