Go back in time and experience the awe inspiring glacial environments of the Mendenhall and Norris Glaciers with Above & Beyond Alaska. Our professional guides will naturalize about the recession of the glacier while you explore the unique landscape that the glaciers have unearthed. These adventures are perfect for individuals, couples, or families seeking an intimate wilderness glacier experience.
Glacier Wilderness Trips include van transportation, roundtrip plane transportation for Norris trips, professional guides, healthy snacks, a souvenir water bottle, expert instruction, and top of the line gear.
From ocean to ice, Above and Beyond Alaska is thrilled to be a part of your next adventure!
Norris and Mendenhall Glacier Tours
Fly-In Norris Glacier Hike & Packraft
- Scenic 30-minute floatplane flight and glacier lake landing at the Norris Glacier – Enjoy breathtaking views of the Tongass National Forest, majestic mountain peaks, and the Juneau Icefield on a scenic flight to your destination, the Norris Glacier.
- Follow your guide to Packraft Cove and begin the paddle to the glacier – This remote, wilderness environment will leave you awestruck as you paddle to the Norris Glacier in a packraft. Exchange the paddle for microspikes and trek on the glacier itself, exploring the unique moonscape environment.
- Hike back from Packraft Cove to meet your plane and pilot – Enjoy the last views of the Juneau Icefield as your flight whisks you back to Juneau.
Mendenhall Glacier Canoe
Paddle & Trek
Paddle & Trek
- Scenic 1-hour canoe paddle across the Mendenhall Glacier Lake – Glide past the Arctic Tern nesting grounds, and observe the mist generated by Nugget Falls while paddling in unison to the face of the Mendenhall Glacier. Keep your eyes open for freshly calved icebergs and feel the cool breeze generated by the ice.
- Follow your guide on a trek to explore the edge of the Mendenhall Glacier – Your group will be led across the moon-like landscape of bedrock to the glacier’s edge. You will be up close to the glacier and exploring the unique moon-like landscape recently exposed by the receding glacier.
- Everyday is different at the glacier – After viewing crevasses filled with deep blue color, and the icefall at the toe of the glacier, begin your 1-hour paddle back across the lake.
Mendenhall Glacier Guided Hike
- Scenic 4.5-mile hike through the Tongass National Rainforest – Enjoy the guided hike to the Mendenhall Glacier through the largest temperate rainforest in the world, dominated by towering Sitka Spruce and Hemlock Trees.
- Emerge from the forest as the jagged face of the glacier bursts into view – You will embark on a guided trek to explore an array of glacial features found along the edge. You will be up close to the glacier and exploring the unique moon-like landscape of bedrock recently exposed.
- Everyday is different at the glacier – After viewing crevasses filled with deep blue color, and the icefall at the toe of the glacier, begin your hike back through the forest.
- Have specific goals or prefer to go at a faster or slower pace? This tour can also be booked privately.