Venture to the Pack Creek Bear Sanctuary
About 8 Hours
Hiking, Kayak, Wildlife Viewing
Brown bear viewing, float plane flight
Price $939 per person
Difficulty Easy to Moderate
Transportation Meet at "C" Sign by the Mount Roberts Tramway
Experience The Trip
Join us for an unforgettable brown bear viewing experience at the “Fortress of the Bears” at Pack Creek Bear Sanctuary! You’ll begin your day with a 25-minute scenic float plane flight to Pack Creek, the premier coastal brown bear viewing area on Admiralty Island. As you disembark the plane, you’ll be greeted by the rangers of Pack Creek. From here, follow in the bear’s footprints as you walk the shoreline and forest trails to the brown bear viewing locations.
The Tlingit call Admiralty Island Kootznoowoo “Fortress of the Bears”, aptly named with perhaps 1800 brown bears. one of the highest bear densities anywhere on earth. With approximately 1 brown bear per square mile, Admiralty Island is home to roughly 10% of Alaska’s entire brown bear population and to one of the highest brown bear population densities on Earth!
From the banks of Pack Creek, we’ll have the opportunity to watch bears fishing for salmon or napping in the tall grass. While wildlife sightings are not guaranteed, the abundant bear population of the Pack Creek area rarely disappoints. Brown Bears are most active during mating season (late May – June) and annual salmon runs ( late July and August).
***Kayaking is included June 19th – July 20th due to limited bear activity. Enjoy the scenic, wilderness paddle along the coastline as you approach Pack Creek.
We are grateful to the Tlingit village of Angoon for allowing us to share this part of their homeland with our guests. Pack Creek is an ecosystem rich in flora and fauna that provides rich sustenance to the healthy brown bear population on Admiralty Island. Eagles are extraordinarily abundant along the shoreline, and the cries of loons haunt Admiralty’s lakes. This is truly one of the gemstones of Southeast Alaska, affording visitors opportunities to view and photograph wildlife up close.
The Trip Itinerary
About 8 hours
Pick up from downtown meeting location
Van transport to ABAK base for outfitting and transport to floatplane base
Scenic Floatplane Flight
Enjoy the views of mountains and oceans as you leave the city behind
Brown Bear Viewing at Pack Creek
Cache your food in the bear-proof lockers!
**June 19th – July 20th kayaking will be included. Kayak portion 2 hours total and bear viewing 3 hours total.
Return Scenic Floatplane Flight to Juneau
Your van transport will be waiting to return you to the main office
Return to ABAK Base
De-gear at ABAK base and return transport to meeting location – Thanks for joining us!
Client Pickup Information
Located at the base of the Mt. Roberts Tramway, the C-Sign is ABAK’s primary downtown meeting location for cruise passengers and clients staying in the downtown area.
Clients arriving at AJ Dock:
Clients who dock at the AJ Dock within 30 minutes of the ABAK pick-up time will be picked up directly from AJ DOCK.
Clients Staying Locally:
Clients can be picked up from any major hotel in the Mendenhall Valley.
Clients staying at major hotels in the Downtown area will meet at our Downtown meeting location.
ABAK is unable to provide pick-up in residential neighborhoods. Clients staying at private residences, Air BnB’s, VRBO’s, or have own transportation please contact our office for meeting location information at 907-364-2333 or email@example.com.
- $939 per person **Guests travelling June 19th – July 20th will land at Windfall Island and kayak into Pack Creek.
(non-refundable $50 National Forest Service permit fee is included in all reservations)
Group Size: Minimum of 2, Maximum of 5 – Contact for availability.
Minimum Age Public Tour: 12 years old
Minimum Age Private Tour: 8 years old – Requires a minimum of 4 guests to book to make Private.
Book early! Pack Creek Permit space is extremely limited!
Included In The Price
- Professional guides
- Roundtrip van & float plane transportation
- US Forest Service permits
- Rain gear (hooded jacket, rubber boots and pants)
- Picnic lunch, Hearty Snacks, & Bottled Water
Not Included In Price
- Hot shower at the end of the day. But you can book your stay with us.
- Professional Photography
- Gratuity for your Guide: If you feel that your guide went Above and Beyond to facilitate an exceptional experience, a gratuity is a welcomed way to show your appreciation.
- Bear Sightings are not guaranteed. This is wild Alaska!
- Due to aircraft restrictions, there is a 250 lbs per person weight limit on this tour. All passenger weights need to be provided at time of booking. Passengers may be weighed by float plane operator – those over 250 lbs may be subject to an additional fee.
- Our kayaks can accommodate a maximum torso (waist-chest) diameter of 55 inches (140cm). Maximum weight limit is 600 lbs (272kg) for double kayaks. People taller than 6’2” find operating the rudder challenging, as the pedals only adjust to a certain maximum distance; however, people as tall as 6’8” have been able to paddle our kayaks.
- The Pack Creek Bear Viewing Area is a wilderness area with no facilities, restrooms, or shelter on site. All garbage and waste must be packed out.
- All participants must agree to follow all guide and ranger direction, always stay with the group, store all food items in designated bear proof lockers, and keep all personal belongings on their person.
- Participants must be able to confidently hike 1-2 miles in the wilderness. Kayaking is offered June 19th-July20th and must be able to paddle up to 2 miles roundtrip.
- This trip operates in all weather conditions (barring unsafe conditions, to be determined by ABAK) – it is very important to dress to get wet.
- Clients must disclose information regarding pertinent medical conditions/history, allergies and any type of restriction or limitation that might introduce a higher degree of challenge on this trip.
- Every participant must sign a Release of Liability/Assumption of Risk Form at the start of the trip. Alterations and/or deletions to the form are not permitted.
- Due to various fitness abilities and weather variables, we prefer clients not schedule other excursions directly before or after our trip. Please let us know if you clients have another excursion booked on the same day.
- Due to the inherent risks involved in this type of tour, pregnant guests are not permitted to participate.
Departure Times: Daily, dependent on permits.
*Please contact us for departure times and availability.
Dates of Operation:
May 15 – June 19th and July 21st – September 10: Guests will fly directly to Pack Creek.
June 19th – July 20th: Guests will fly to Windfall Island and Kayak to Pack Creek
Group Size:***Pack Creek Permits from July 5 – August 25 are extremely limited
Minimum of 2, Maximum of 5
12 years old – public tour
8 years old – private tour
Easy to Moderate
- Name of client(s)
- Cell phone contact number of client
- Desired trip date and departure time
- Name of cruise ship or hotel
- Participants’ ages, especially anyone under the age of 18
- Rain gear & shoe sizes (please specify male or female)
- Any pertinent medical issues, allergies or dietary restrictions
- Primary language spoken, if other than English