Experience the Mendenhall Glacier Up Close & Personal – With Your Own Private Guide!
Up to 9-hours
Hiking, Glacier Trekking
Custom glacier trekking and hiking
We pick you up.
Experience The Trip
Experience Mendenhall Glacier with a guide just for your group! Follow the same route as the Mendenhall Glacier Trek, but this tour will be tailored to your group’s needs and goals, whether its extra time at a feature, a faster or slower pace, focusing on photography, or anything else. We’ve had weddings on this tour! Children as young as 8 can go and there is more flexibility in accommodating special requests.
Hiking to the glacier begins with 4 miles through towering Sitka Spruce and Hemlock in the largest temperate rainforest in the world. The trail becomes less defined as you follow your guide through dense brush, beaver ponds, and up rock scrambles. The trail is strenuous with about 800 feet in vertical elevation gain, and requires you to be sure-footed while crossing slippery stones and rock screes. It is all worth it when you climb the final ridge, and the jagged face of the glacier bursts into view with its river of ice coursing behind it.
The glacier is in constant change and its features disappear and reappear over the course of the season, including the ice caves. After strapping on your micro-spikes, your guide will take you on a tour of the glacier’s accessible features which may include exploring the other-worldliness of an ice cave, descending into crevasses carved by melt water, or peering into the deep blue well of a moulin. Everyday is different on the ice!
Privately guided glacier trek tours are limited to 12 people. If you would like to book a larger group, please inquire to make a special departure.
The Trip Itinerary
About 9 hours
Van transport to the West Glacier Trailhead
Arrive at the “C” Sign 5-10 minutes before your pickup time.
Gear outfitting & orientation
Trail Hike to Glacier
Travel through the landscape formed by ice.
Glacier trekking & Exploration
Glacial features must be determined as safe to access.
Trail Hike back to Parking Lot
Back the way you came, mostly downhill this time.
Return van transport to downtown, major hotels
Client Pickup Information
The “C” Sign, located near the cruise ship docks directly between Mt. Roberts Tramway and the green Taku Smokeries building, is our centralized downtown meeting location for all clients in the downtown area, including the majority of cruise ship passengers.
Passengers Arriving At AJ Dock
Because the AJ Dock is about a 20 minute walk away from the “C” Sign, clients off cruise ships docking at the AJ Dock with 30 minutes or less between their ship’s arrival time and ABAK’s trip departure time will be picked up directly from the AJ Dock.
Clients staying at major hotels in the Mendenhall Valley may be picked up directly from their hotel. Clients with their own transportation may meet their guides directly at the ABAK Office at 2767 Sherwood Lane Juneau AK 99801
2 people: $472.50 per person (includes tax)
3-6 people: $315 per person (includes tax)
7-12 people: $288.75 per person (includes tax)
Group Size: Minimum of 2, Maximum of 12
Minimum Age: 8 years old
This is an all inclusive kind of trip. From dock, to glacier and back.
Included In The Price
- Professional guides
- Roundtrip van transport
- All necessary paddling equipment & glacier gear
- US Forest Service permits
- Rain gear (hooded jacket, rubber boots and pants)
- SNACKS! Hummus and carrots, other hearty treats, & all the fresh glacier water you can drink
- All clients will be outfitted in tandem kayaks. Single kayaks may be available experienced paddlers.
- A specific amount of time on the ice cannot be guaranteed. The amount of time on the glacier is dependent on the group’s pace and weather conditions.
- Visiting specific features such as ice caves, moulins, etc. cannot be guaranteed due to the Mendenhall Glacier’s constantly changing nature. Your guide will assess potential hazards on the trip to determine if a particular area is safe to trek upon or enter.
- Participants must be in good enough shape and conditioned to hike for up to 6-6.5 hours, covering about 9 miles roundtrip.
- Everyone needs to wear sturdy hiking boots that provide good ankle support while hiking on uneven, rocky terrain & trekking on the glacier. All participants will need to hike with a backpack weighing approximately 10lbs the entire way on this trip.
- Visiting specific features such as ice caves, moulins, etc. cannot be guaranteed due to the constantly changing nature of the Mendenhall Glacier. Your guide will assess the hazards on the day of the trip to determine if a particular area is safe to trek upon or enter.
- Clients interested in ice climbing with a top rope need to book the Glacier Blue Trek and Climb.
- WAIVER FORM: Every participant must sign a waiver form at the start of the trip. Alterations and/or deletions to the waiver are not permitted.
- Due to various fitness abilities and weather variables, we prefer clients not schedule other excursions directly before or after our trip. Please let us know if your clients have another excursion booked on the same day.
- Due to the inherent risks involved, we do not permit women at any stage of pregnancy to participate in this trek.
Departure times available daily depending on your schedule.
Dates of Operation: Apr. 28th – Sept. 30th, 2019
*Due to diminishing daylight hours in September, only morning departures will be offered after August 15th.
Minimum of 2, Maximum of 12
8 years old. Children need to be in good enough physical condition to hike 9 miles roundtrip on their own. The smallest shoe size we can accommodate with crampons is size 2.
Challenging & Strenuous – Clients need to be in good physical shape and able to climb over rocks, slippery surfaces, and have no major mobility issues. No hiking experience necessary.
- Name of client(s)
- Cell phone contact number of client
- Desired trip date and departure time
- Name of cruise ship or hotel
- Clients’ ages, especially anyone under the age of 18
- Rain gear & shoe sizes (please specify male or female)
- Any pertinent medical issues, allergies or dietary restrictions
- Primary language spoken, if other than English
Please note: Clients must disclose information regarding pertinent medical conditions/history, allergies and any type of restriction or limitation that might introduce a higher degree of challenge on this trip. ABAK strives to accommodate various conditions, restrictions and/or limitations and can better do so with prior knowledge of such. Women who are pregnant are welcome to participate in this trip with a doctor’s note confirming the safety of their participation in the activities of the tour.