Our Most Popular Tour to Visit Mendenhall Glacier
Canoe, Glacier Trekking
Beautiful Scenery, trekking on a glacier
$366.45 per person (includes sales tax)
We pick you up.
Experience The Trip
Enjoy the Mendenhall Glacier up close!
Experience the magnificent Mendenhall Glacier and Lake by canoe paddling to the face then trekking onto the glacier’s surface and exploring the dynamic features. We have hosted BBC Wild Alaska, Good Morning America, Ocean Treks with Jeff Corwin, Gayle King with CBS Morning This Morning and O Magazine, and numerous magazine writers and photographers on this tour.
Adventurers of all experience levels are invited to join us on this intimate excursion to the famous Mendenhall Glacier. With only a 7 client to 1 guide ratio, we provide an intimate and remote experience without ever leaving the Juneau city limits. Our guides are happy to orientate you and your family to the paddle and glacier trek experience regardless of past paddling or trekking history. The entire family can join us on this multi-sport journey through an ecological timeline to experience the Mendenhall from land and water!
Our Trips Are Outstanding
ABAK has been pioneering glacier and ice cave exploration for over 15 years.
We are the ONLY company who offers a variety of tours to reach the glacier: this tour (the Glacier Canoe Paddle & Trek), hiking options (the Glacier Trek tour, the Private Glacier Trek, or the Glacier Blue Trek & Climb), and a kayak option (the Private Kayak Paddle & Trek) tour.
Our Glacier Canoe Paddle & Trek is our most popular tour and here’s why:
- 5 star ratings
- 6.5 Hour Tour
Get the most out of your trip to the glacier.
- 1 Guide: 7 Clients
A low Guide to client ratio make for a more personal experience.
- Safety and Gear
Harness, helmet, microspikes, trekking poles, and all guides trained in advanced wilderness first aid.
- Indoor Bathroom Option
Full warehouse facility including bathrooms & luggage storage.
- We're Experienced
16 years leading tours on the glacier.
The Trip Itinerary
About 6.5 Hours
Van transport to ABAK office for outfitting
Arrive at the “C” Sign 5-10 minutes before your pickup time.
Gear outfitting & orientation, transport to the lake
Guided paddling in canoes on the lake
Stroke left, paddle right.. look across the lake to see Nugget Falls.
Hiking & glacier trekking
Guided paddling in canoes on the lake
Head back to the shore.
Transport to ABAK office, change out of gear
Return van transport to downtown, major hotels
Client Pickup Information
The “C” Sign, located near the cruise ship docks directly between Mt. Roberts Tramway and the green Taku Smokeries building, is our centralized downtown meeting location for all clients in the downtown area, including the majority of cruise ship passengers.
Passengers Arriving At AJ Dock
Because the AJ Dock is about a 20 minute walk away from the “C” Sign, clients off cruise ships docking at the AJ Dock with 30 minutes or less between their ship’s arrival time and ABAK’s trip departure time will be picked up directly from the AJ Dock.
Clients staying at major hotels in the Mendenhall Valley may be picked up directly from their hotel. Clients with their own transportation may meet their guides directly at the ABAK Office at 2767 Sherwood Lane Juneau AK 99801
$349.00 per person + 5% sales tax
Group Size: Minimum of 2, Maximum of 14; 7 to 1 client to guide ratio
Minimum Age: 12
This is an all inclusive kind of trip. From dock, to glacier and back.
Included In The Price
- Professional guides
- Roundtrip van transport
- All necessary paddling equipment & glacier gear
- US Forest Service permits
- Rain gear (hooded jacket, rubber boots and pants)
- SNACKS! Hummus and carrots, other hearty treats, & all the fresh glacier water you can drink
- This trip operates in all weather conditions (barring unsafe conditions, to be determined by ABAK) – it is very important to dress to get wet.
- All clients will be outfitted in 8 person canoes, with up to 7 participants & one guide per canoe. In the case of large groups, a larger canoe may be utilized.
- A specific amount of time on the ice cannot be guaranteed. The amount of time on the glacier is dependent on the group’s pace and weather conditions.
- Visiting specific features such as ice caves, moulins, etc. cannot be guaranteed due to the Mendenhall Glacier’s constantly changing nature. Your guide will assess potential hazards on the trip to determine if a particular area is safe to trek upon or enter.
- Participants must be in good enough physical shape and conditioned to paddle for up to 5-6 miles roundtrip and hike on uneven terrain up to 2 miles roundtrip.
- WAIVER FORM: Every participant must sign a waiver form at the start of the trip. Alterations and/or deletions to the waiver are not permitted.
- Due to various fitness abilities and weather variables, we prefer clients not schedule other excursions directly before or after our trip. Please let us know if your clients have another excursion booked on the same day.
- Due to the inherent risks involved, we do not permit women at any stage of pregnancy to participate in this trek.
Mondays: 11:30am, 1:30pm, 2:30pm
Tuesdays: 7:30am, 8:30am, 2:30pm
Wednesdays: 7:00am, 1:30pm
Thursdays: 8:30am, 12:30pm
Sundays: 7:30am, 10:30am, 1:30pm
Dates of Operation: April 30th – October 2nd, 2018
*Due to diminishing daylight hours in September, limited afternoon departures will be offered during the month of September. Please inquire for availability.
Group Size: Minimum of 2, Maximum of 14;
7 to 1 client to guide ratio
Minimum Age: 12 years old.
Everyone must be in good enough physical condition to assist in paddling the canoe 5-6 miles and hike up to 2 miles. The smallest shoe size we can accommodate is size 2. We do not permit clients to carry their infants/toddlers due to safety concerns.
Activity Level: Strenuous, but no experience necessary.
- Name of client(s)
- Cell phone contact number of client
- Desired trip date and departure time
- Name of cruise ship or hotel
- Participants’ ages, especially anyone under the age of 18
- Rain gear & shoe sizes (please specify male or female)
- Any pertinent medical issues, allergies or dietary restrictions
- Primary language spoken, if other than English
Please note: Clients must disclose information regarding pertinent medical conditions/history, allergies and any type of restriction or limitation that might introduce a higher degree of challenge on this trip. ABAK strives to accommodate various conditions, restrictions and/or limitations and can better do so with prior knowledge of such. Women who are pregnant are welcome to participate in this trip with a doctor’s note confirming the safety of their participation in the activities of the tour.