Our Most Popular Tour to Visit Mendenhall Glacier
Beautiful Scenery, Glacier Exploration
From $339 per person + tax
Meet at "C" Sign by the Mount Roberts Tramway
Experience The Trip
The Glacier Canoe Paddle and Hike is our most sought-after adventure, an experience that has welcomed families, photographers, writers, and even esteemed guests like the BBC, Good Morning America, Gayle King with CBS This Morning, and O Magazine.
Your incredible journey begins with a leisurely stroll through the Tongass National Forest, celebrated as the world’s largest temperate rainforest. Here, you’ll be surrounded by the awe-inspiring presence of majestic Sitka spruce and hemlock trees, creating a lush and vibrant tapestry of green. This enchanting walk through nature’s splendor will eventually bring you to the picturesque canoe launch site, setting the stage for the next chapter of your adventure. Your experienced canoe guide will provide essential paddle instructions, ensuring your safety and enjoyment throughout the journey. Once equipped with your gear, you’ll step aboard our spacious canoes, accommodating either 8 or 12 passengers, and set your course toward the magnificent Mendenhall Glacier.
Witness Arctic tern nesting grounds and the cascading Nugget Falls as you glide past, with stunning views of the glacier in the distance. As the glacier draws near, feel the cool breeze and keep your eyes peeled for freshly calved icebergs.
As you reach the beach, it’s time to leave the canoes behind and embark on a captivating hike through the rocky terrain. This part of the journey provides you with an up-close and intimate perspective of the glacier, allowing you to witness its grandeur and get a firsthand look at its rapid recession. Throughout the hike, your expert guide will share their knowledge, offering valuable insights into the glacier’s remarkable history, behavior, and ever-changing dynamics. Discover the glacier’s ancient legacy, shaped through countless millennia of carving the landscape.
Explore this ancient ice age wilderness and marvel at the breathtaking ice features that unfold from the edge of the glacier. Constantly changing, the glacier offers a unique experience each day. Renowned as one of the most visited and beloved glaciers in North America, the Mendenhall Glacier offers a quintessential Alaskan experience.
See What It’s Like!
Our Trips Are Outstanding
ABAK has been pioneering glacier exploration for over 21 years!
The Trip Itinerary
Pick up from Downtown Juneau
Van transportation to ABAK for gear outfitting
Gear Outfitting & Orientation, Transport to Mendenhall Lake
Get to know your guide and gear before heading to the Lake
Questions about gear sizing?
Guided Canoe Trip across Mendenhall Lake
Paddle instruction included!
Hiking and Exploration!
Get up close to the Mendenhall Glacier and explore all the features along the edge!
Return Canoe Trip across Mendenhall Lake
Return to Headquarters to De-Gear
Pick up some ABAK Souvenirs and use our Indoor Restrooms
Van Transport back Downtown.
Thank you for joining us!
Client Pickup Information
Located at the base of the Mt. Roberts Tramway, the C-Sign is ABAK’s primary downtown meeting location for cruise passengers and clients staying in the downtown area.
Clients arriving at AJ Dock:
Clients who dock at the AJ Dock within 30 minutes of the ABAK pick-up time will be picked up directly from AJ DOCK.
Clients staying Locally:
Clients can be picked up from any major hotel in the Mendenhall Valley.
Clients staying at major hotels in the Downtown area will meet at our Downtown meeting location.
ABAK is unable to provide pick-up in residential neighborhoods. Clients staying at private residences, Air BnB’s, VRBO’s, or have own transportation please contact our office for meeting location information at 907-364-2333 or email@example.com.
From $339.00 per person + 5% sales tax = $355.95 per person
Private Tour: $4,271.40 – private canoe
Group Size: Minimum of 4, Maximum of 12 **Please contact for groups of 13 or more
Private Group Size: Minimum of 8, Maximum of 12 **Must purchase all 12 seats in canoe to make private
Minimum Age: 12 years old
Maximum Weight: 250 lbs per participant
Clients must be able and conditioned to paddle for up to 5-6 miles round trip and hike on uneven terrain for up to 2 miles round trip.
Included In The Price
- Professional guides
- Roundtrip van transport from meeting location
- All paddling equipment & glacier gear
- US Forest Service permits
- Rain gear (hooded jacket, rubber boots and pants) and dry bag backpack
- Hearty, healthy snacks & bottled water
- All safety gear including helmet and trekking poles if needed
Not Included In Price
- Hot shower at the end of the day, but you can book your unique stay here.
- Professional Photography
- Gratuity for your Guide: If you feel that your guide went Above and Beyond to facilitate an exceptional experience, a gratuity is a welcomed way to show your appreciation.
- This trip operates in all weather conditions (barring unsafe conditions, to be determined by ABAK) – it is very important to dress to get wet.
- Clients must disclose information regarding pertinent medical conditions/history, allergies and any type of restriction or limitation that might introduce a higher degree of challenge on this trip.
- Glacier Access and feature exploration: The Mendenhall Glacier is receding daily. Because the glacier is in a state of constant change, not all features may be present or accessible. We will explore the edges of the glacier safely from the bedrock. This tour does not include trekking on the glacier.
- A specific amount of time exploring the edge of the glacier cannot be guaranteed. The amount of time at the glacier is dependent on the group’s pace and weather conditions.
- Every participant must sign a Release of Liability/Assumption of Risk Form at the start of the trip. Alterations and/or deletions to the form are not permitted.
- Due to various fitness abilities and weather variables, we prefer clients not schedule other excursions directly before or after our trip. Please let us know if your clients have another excursion booked on the same day.
- Due to inherent risks involved in this type of tour, pregnant guests are not permitted to participate.
- Clients must be able and conditioned to paddle for up to 5-6 miles round trip and hike on uneven terrain for up to 2 miles round trip. All clients must know how to swim.
- Due to canoe capacity, maximum Per Person Weight is 250 lbs.
Departure Times: Please click on the Book Your Trip tab for updated departure times
Private Departure Times: Please contact our office.
Dates of Operation: May 1st – September 30th, 2024
Group Size: Minimum of 4, Maximum of 12
Minimum Age: 12 years old.
Everyone must be in good enough physical condition to assist in paddling the canoe 5-6 miles and hike up to 2 miles. The smallest shoe size we can accommodate is size 2. The largest shoe size we can accommodate is size 14.
Activity Level: Strenuous, but no experience necessary.
- Name of client(s)
- Cell phone contact number of client
- Desired trip date and departure time
- Name of cruise ship or hotel
- Participants’ ages, especially anyone under the age of 18
- Rain gear & shoe sizes (please specify male or female)
- Any pertinent medical issues, allergies or dietary restrictions
- Primary language spoken, if other than English