Sea Kayak With Humpback Whales
on this Exclusive Private Tour
Up to 8-Hours
Kayak, Sightseeing, Boat Ride
Paddle Up Close with Wildlife
Private Boat Charter $2199 + tax for up to 6 people
Easy to Moderate
We pick you up.
Experience The Trip
Jump on your own private boat and travel up the Inside Passage to the richest Humpback Whale feeding ground in Alaska! See the lush and vibrant temperate rainforest, exquisite snow-capped peaks and flowing glaciers, your only neighbors are the feeding humpback whales, curious sea lions, playful porpoise, and soaring eagles!
Having been picked up and transported to a boat harbor north of Juneau, you’ll board our small private boat and be whisked away to the Channel Islands State Marine Park while scanning the seas for marine wildlife. If a whale is spotted, have the option to jump into a kayak straight from the boat and join them in their journey. Once you have completed your kayak exploration, be treated to a high quality delicious gourmet picnic of local Juneau favorites.
rom both water and land, you may see humpback whales, harbor seals, steller sea lions, dall’s porpoise, harbor porpoise, orca, numerous bird species including bald eagles and blue heron, and deer or river otters along the shore. Throughout this trip, our expert guides and boat captain will share their local knowledge of the area and interesting information about the wildlife and their behaviors. Be prepared to take in the beauty of glaciers off in the distance and the majestic mountains of the Chilkat and Coast Ranges. After the water taxi cruise back to the harbor, our van will be awaiting your return to drive you back to Juneau.
Suitable for all experience levels, this eco-adventure is sure to provide a new perspective on what’s possible in the world of remote Southeast Alaskan island exploration and is the preeminent paddling and island adventure in Southeast Alaska.
The Trip Itinerary
About 8 hours
Van pick up and transport to boat harbor
Gear outfitting & orientation
Boat ride & wildlife viewing
Gear outfitting, paddle safety briefing and orientation
Kayaking and potential wildlife viewing
Return boat ride to the harbor
Return Van transport
Client Pickup Information
The “C” Sign, located near the cruise ship docks directly between Mt. Roberts Tramway and the green Taku Smokeries building, is our centralized downtown meeting location for all clients in the downtown area, including the majority of cruise ship passengers.
Passengers Arriving At AJ Dock
Because the AJ Dock is about a 20 minute walk away from the “C” Sign, clients off cruise ships docking at the AJ Dock with 30 minutes or less between their ship’s arrival time and ABAK’s trip departure time will be picked up directly from the AJ Dock.
Clients staying at major hotels in the Mendenhall Valley may be picked up directly from their hotel. Clients with their own transportation may meet their guides directly at the ABAK Office at 2767 Sherwood Lane Juneau AK 99801
Fixed Rate: $2,308.95 (includes sales tax) – that’s only $385 per person with 6 people!
Group Size: Minimum of 1, Maximum of 6; 6 to 1 client to guide ratio
Minimum Age: 8
Included In The Price
- Professional guides and boat captain
- Roundtrip van transportation & water taxi
- State Marine Park permits
- All Necessary Kayaking equipment including dry bags
- Rain gear (hooded jacket, rubber boots and pants)
- Full lunch and beverages included – Please note any dietary restrictions
- Kayak Restrictions: Our kayaks can accommodate a maximum torso (waist-chest) diameter of 55 inches (140cm). Maximum weight limit is 600lbs (272kg) for double kayaks. People taller than 6’2″ (188cm) find operating the rudder challenging, as the pedals only adjust to a certain maximum distance; however, people as tall as 6’8″ have been able to paddle our kayaks.
- Peak months to have a chance to see whales by kayak: July-September
- Peak months to have a chance to see sea lions by kayak: May-June
- The best chance to see whales from a kayak are July, August, and September during the prime humpback whale feeding season. Although we can see whales from our private boat charter during the months of May and June, we don’t typically see them from a kayak.
- PLEASE NOTE, we cannot guarantee whale or wildlife sightings by kayak. This is Wild Alaska! Please do not book this trip if you want guaranteed whales or wildlife by kayak. Our goal on this trip is to guarantee you an awesome time packed with adventure, great guides, and fantastic food.
- The Marine Mammal regulations require us to remain at least a 100 yards from wildlife.
- All clients will be outfitted in double kayaks. Clients interested in single kayaks need to book a private trip.
- This trip operates in all weather conditions (barring unsafe conditions, to be determined by ABAK) – We cannot stress how important it is to dress appropriately.
- WAIVER FORM: Every participant must sign a waiver form at the start of the trip. Alterations and/or deletions to the waiver are not permitted.
Private Departures: All departures are private.
Departure Times: Daily departures available between 7am-1pm. Please contact us to discuss us preferred times for your departure.
Dates of Operation: Apr. 30th – Oct. 2nd, 2018
*Due to diminishing daylight hours in September, only morning departures will be offered after August 15th
Group Size: Minimum of 1, Maximum of 6;
6 to 1 client to guide ratio
Minimum Age: 8 years old. Children must be in good enough physical condition to paddle a tandem kayak with an adult.
Activity Level: Moderate with No Experience Necessary – Family friendly tour
- Name of client(s)
- Cell phone contact number of client
- Desired trip date and departure time
- Name of cruise ship or hotel
- Clients’ ages, especially anyone under the age of 18
- Rain gear & shoe sizes (please specify male or female)
- Any pertinent medical issues, allergies or dietary restrictions
- Primary language spoken, if other than English
Please note: Clients must disclose information regarding pertinent medical conditions/history, allergies and any type of restriction or limitation that might introduce a higher degree of challenge on this trip. ABAK strives to accommodate various conditions, restrictions and/or limitations and can better do so with prior knowledge of such. Women who are pregnant are welcome to participate in this trip with a doctor’s note confirming the safety of their participation in the activities of the tour.