The Exclusive Kayak Tour to Mendenhall Glacier
About 3.5 Hours
Kayak Paddle, beautiful scenery
$159 per person (includes sales tax)
We pick you up.
Experience The Trip
Experience the magnificent Mendenhall Glacier and Lake from an unparalleled vantage point – the seat of a kayak! Imagine paddling through a glacial wilderness alight with the glow of an immense river of ice, icebergs dotting your path, waterfalls raging in the distance, temperate rainforest and ascendant peaks towering above you. Join us on this guided paddle into the uniquely accessible glacial environment of the Mendenhall!
You’ll be picked up and transported to the edge of Mendenhall Lake- our paddling destination on this 3.5-hour, family-friendly adventure. After your gear outfitting, kayak orientation and safety briefing, point your bow toward the awe-inspiring glacier ahead and paddle on this silt-rich lake with glowing
blue icebergs of all shapes and sizes and reflections of the grand peaks of the Coastal Mountain Range. Mendenhall Lake offers the unique kayaking experience of paddling near icebergs, arctic tern nesting cliffs, and giant waterfalls all en route to the terminus of the glacier. Don’t forget to look toward the shorelines, mountains and sky around you for possible wildlife sightings- mountain goats, black bear, porcupine, river otter, beaver, eagles, loons, and arctic terns all inhabit this area!
Adventurers of all experience levels are invited on this intimate excursion where our guides are happy to outfit and orient you and your group to this unique glacier lake kayaking experience regardless of past kayaking history.
Once you round the rock peninsula, the face of the glacier confronts you like a giant. Blocks of ice stand tall, waiting for the right moment to calve into the waters. Arctic terns circle overhead, fighting off intruding Bald Eagles. Mountain goats follow the retreating snow line, slowly making their way up looking for fresh greens.
The Trip Itinerary
About 3.5 Hours
Van transport to the Mendenhall Lake
Arrive at the “C” Sign 5-10 minutes before your pickup time.
Outfitting, orientation and paddle safety briefing, kayak launch
Guided kayaking on Mendenhall Lake
Stroke left, paddle right.. look across the lake to see Nugget Falls.
Return Van Transport to ABAK office, change out of gear
Client Pickup Information
The “C” Sign, located near the cruise ship docks directly between Mt. Roberts Tramway and the green Taku Smokeries building, is our centralized downtown meeting location for all clients in the downtown area, including the majority of cruise ship passengers.
Passengers Arriving At AJ Dock
Because the AJ Dock is about a 20 minute walk away from the “C” Sign, clients off cruise ships docking at the AJ Dock with 30 minutes or less between their ship’s arrival time and ABAK’s trip departure time will be picked up directly from the AJ Dock.
Clients staying at major hotels in the Mendenhall Valley may be picked up directly from their hotel. Clients with their own transportation may meet their guides directly at the ABAK Office at 2767 Sherwood Lane Juneau AK 99801
$150 per person + 5% Sales Tax = $159 per person
Group Size: Minimum of 2, Maximum of 12; 6 to 1 client to guide ratio
Minimum Age: 12 years old. Children must be in good enough physical condition to paddle a double kayak with an adult.
This is an all inclusive kind of trip. From dock, to glacier and back.
Included In The Price
- Professional guides
- Roundtrip van transport
- All necessary paddling equipment & tandem kayak
- US Forest Service permits
- Rain gear (hooded jacket and pants) and rubber boots
- Light snack/bottled water
- All clients will be outfitted in tandem kayaks. Single kayaks may be available for experienced paddlers.
- Clients must be in good enough physical shape and conditioned to paddle for up to 5-6 miles roundtrip.
- Due to the inherent risks involved, we do not permit women at any stage of pregnancy to participate in this trip.
- WAIVER FORM: Every participant must sign a waiver form at the start of the trip. Alterations and/or deletions to the waiver are not permitted.
- This trip operates in all weather conditions (barring unsafe conditions, to be determined by ABAK). Please stress to your clients the importance of dressing appropriately.
Dates of Operation: June 1st – September 30th, 2020
Group Size: minimum of 4, Maximum of 6
Minimum Age: 8 years old. Children must be in good enough physical condition to paddle a double kayak with an adult.
Activity Level: Moderate with No Experience Necessary
- Name of client(s)
- Cell phone contact number of client
- Desired trip date and departure time
- Name of cruise ship or hotel
- Participants’ ages, especially anyone under the age of 18
- Rain gear & shoe sizes (please specify male or female)
- Any pertinent medical issues, allergies or dietary restrictions
- Primary language spoken, if other than English
Please note: Clients must disclose information regarding pertinent medical conditions/history, allergies and any type of restriction or limitation that might introduce a higher degree of challenge on this trip. ABAK strives to accommodate various conditions, restrictions and/or limitations and can better do so with prior knowledge of such. Women who are pregnant are welcome to participate in this trip with a doctor’s note confirming the safety of their participation in the activities of the tour.