An Exclusive Helicopter Overnight Base Camp
2 days/1 night
Overnight glacier camp
We pick you up.
Experience The Trip
Join us on the Mendenhall Glacier for the ultimate overnight camping adventure! With the help of our qualified guides and aided by a helicopter, participants of all ages and abilities can intimately explore and discover the various features of this constantly changing glacial landscape: ice caves, crevasses, moulins, supraglacial streams, ice tubes, and moraines. During the trip you will receive expert instruction on glacier travel and climbing techniques as well as interpretation of the unique environment around you. We will outfit you with quality mountaineering and camping gear, and provide delicious snacks and meals. All you need to bring is a spirit for adventure.
You’ll sleep comfortable in a tent on top of the massive glacier while you “rough it” in luxury and we will take care of every detail of the trip.
The Trip Itinerary
Prior to your scheduled departure
Your guide will contact you by phone or meet with you in person to introduce themselves, answer any last minute questions, ensure that you have all the necessary equipment, and to discuss the route and expectations.
Your adventure begins
With trip orientation & outfitting before lifting off for a thrilling helicopter ride to the glacier. After setting up camp you will become acquainted with your surroundings through in-depth discussions and exploration at your desired pace. As evening approaches you will trek back to camp where you will enjoy a delicious dinner while soaking in the immense beauty of the mountains, cascading waterfalls, and glacier. Stay warm & cozy with 0 degree sleeping bags, camp chairs, and private sleeping tents while taking in the calming peace of an evening spent by an Alaskan glacier.
Plenty More to do!
Morning starts with a warm cup of coffee or tea in your private tent, followed by breakfast in the social dome. A cross-glacier trek offers easy to difficult route options based on individual or group requests. Enjoy plenty of time for pictures and even ice climbing! Ice caves, tunnels, streams, rock formations, waterfalls, moulins, and crevasses are just a few of the features encountered during the day. In the late afternoon the helicopter returns for the flight back to Juneau.
[custom-mapping map_id=”1050″ height=”500″]
Client Pickup Information
The “C” Sign, located near the cruise ship docks directly between Mt. Roberts Tramway and the green Taku Smokeries building, is our centralized downtown meeting location for all clients in the downtown area, including the majority of cruise ship passengers.
Passengers Arriving At AJ Dock
Because the AJ Dock is about a 20 minute walk away from the “C” Sign, clients off cruise ships docking at the AJ Dock with 30 minutes or less between their ship’s arrival time and ABAK’s trip departure time will be picked up directly from the AJ Dock.
Clients staying at major hotels in the Mendenhall Valley may be picked up directly from their hotel. Clients with their own transportation may meet their guides directly at the ABAK Office at 2767 Sherwood Lane Juneau AK 99801
Contact Us to Schedule this Custom Adventure
Group Size: Minimum of 4 people, maximum of 12 people
Minimum Age: 10
This is an all inclusive kind of trip. From dock, to glacier and back.
Included In The Price
- Professional guides
- Roundtrip helicopter transport
- Roundtrip van transport
- All necessary glacier and ice climbing gear
- All necessary camping and overnight gear
- US Forest Service permits
- Rain gear (hooded jacket and pants)
- Delicious hot meals and drinks
- Day packs to carry gear
Not Included In Price
- A spirit for adventure
- Personal clothing
- Hiking boots
- Toiletries and personal items
- Camera with extra batteries and extra memory card
- Your lodging for the nights before and after your trip
- The ability to hike up to 6 miles over uneven terrain
- Gratuity for your guide staff
- This trip operates in all weather conditions (barring unsafe conditions, to be determined by ABAK) – please stress to your clients the importance of dressing appropriately.
- This trip does NOT guarantee any glacial features including the ice caves. The speed of the group and weather conditions could alter itinerary. The conditions of the caves are assessed for safety on a per trip basis. Entry to the caves will only be included if they are deemed safe and accessible for all members of the party.
- WAIVER FORM: Every participant must sign a waiver form at the start of the trip. Alterations and/or deletions to the waiver are not permitted.
- Tents are 2 or 3 person backpacking style tents that are weather tight, but comfortably snug.
- The Helicopters have a limited weight and space capacity. Please pack only the essentials.
Departure Times: Custom departures available – please call or email us to schedule
Dates of Operation: June – August, 2019
Group Size: Minimum of 4 people required, max 12 people
Minimum Age: 10 years old.
Activity Level: Moderate to Very Strenuous, only recommended for active and physically fit.
- Name of client(s)
- Cell phone contact number of client
- Desired trip date and departure time
- Name of cruise ship or hotel
- Participants’ ages, especially anyone under the age of 18
- Rain gear & shoe sizes (please specify male or female)
- Any pertinent medical issues, allergies or dietary restrictions
- Primary language spoken, if other than English
Please note: Clients must disclose information regarding pertinent medical conditions/history, allergies and any type of restriction or limitation that might introduce a higher degree of challenge on this trip. ABAK strives to accommodate various conditions, restrictions and/or limitations and can better do so with prior knowledge of such. Women who are pregnant are welcome to participate in this trip with a doctor’s note confirming the safety of their participation in the activities of the tour.