The Ultimate Glacier Adventure
9 to 10-Hours
Hiking, Glacier Trekking, Ice Climbing
Introduction to Ice Climbing
We pick you up.
Experience The Trip
This is the ultimate glacier experience! This 9-hour adventure features hiking, glacier trekking, and an introduction to ice climbing on the surface of the World Famous Mendenhall Glacier. This extended tour time allows our groups to access regions of the glacier that are inaccessible to most travelers and spend the most time on the ice.
The day starts with gear outfitting and orientation at our main office, where you’ll be provided mountaineering boots and glacier gear. From here we will transport your private group to the West Glacier Trailhead and embark on a 4-mile hike through the Tongass National Forest. This will lead you to the toe of the Mendenhall Glacier.
The hike is strenuous and requires excellent balance and sure-footedness to safely traverse across steep, uneven, slippery and rocky terrain. As you follow your guide through the dense vegetation, around beaver ponds, and up rock scrambles, the wilderness trail becomes less defined. As you emerge from the forest and approach the final ridge, the face of the Mendenhall Glacier bursts into view with the river of ice coursing behind it!
After donning crampons and glacier gear, you’ll step onto the Mighty Mendenhall Glacier and trek across the river of ice. As we head for the upper regions of the toe, we’ll stop and peer into moulins and crevasses to admire an array of glacial features before finding a wall of ice to scale. At this point your guide will set up a top-rope system and facilitate an introduction to ice climbing on this world-renowned glacier.
After a successful climb your guide will navigate back to the trail for a 4-mile return hike and van transportation back to pick-up location.
Check out our post to learn all about ice climbing tools and equipment! Learn about Ice Climbing Tools
The Trip Itinerary
9 to 10 Hours – Depending on your schedule
Pick Up from Downtown Juneau
Van transportation to our main outfitting facility
Gear Outfitting and Orientation
Get to know your guide and gear!
Questions about the gear sizing?
Hike Approximately 4 miles via West Glacier Trail
This jaunt through the temperate rainforest leads to the toe of the Mendenhall Glacier!
Glacier Trekking, Exploration, and Introduction to Ice Climbing
Gear Up and Traverse across the ice, off the beaten path, to extraordinary features and glacier landscapes
Return Hike to the Trailhead
Don’t worry, it’s mostly downhill
Van Transport to Downtown Juneau
Client Pickup Information
Our centralized downtown meeting location is the “C” Sign located directly between the base of the Mount Roberts Tramway and the green Taku Smokeris building near the cruise ship terminal. All clients in the downtown area will be picked up here.
Clients arriving at AJ Dock:
Clients on cruise ships docking at the AJ Dock with 30 minutes or less between their ship’s arrival time and ABAK’s trip departure time will be picked up directly from the pier at AJ Dock.
Clients Staying Locally:
Clients staying at major hotels in the Mendenhall Valley may be picked up directly from their hotel. Clients with their own transportation and staying at an Air BnB or VRBO please contact us at 907-364-2333 for details on the meeting location.
2 people: $549 per person + 5% sales tax = $576.45 per person
3-6 people: $499 per person + 5% sales tax = $523.95 per person
Group Size: Minimum of 2, Maximum of 6
Minimum Age: 12
This is an all inclusive kind of trip. From dock, to glacier and back.
Included In The Price
- Professional guides
- Roundtrip van transport
- All glacier and ice climbing gear
- US Forest Service permits
- Rain pants, Hooded Rain Jacket, and Mountaineering Boots
- Hearty, Healthy snacks and bottled water
Not Included In Price
- Hot shower at the end of the day. But you can book your stay with us.
- Professional Photography
- Gratuity for your Private Guide: If you feel that your guide went Above and Beyond to facilitate an exceptional experience, a gratuity is a welcomed way to show your appreciation.
- This trip operates in all weather conditions (barring unsafe conditions, to be determined by ABAK) – it is very important to dress to get wet.
- Clients must disclose information regarding pertinent medical conditions/history, allergies and any type of restriction or limitation that might introduce a higher degree of challenge on this trip.
- A specific amount of time on the ice cannot be guaranteed. The amount of time on the glacier is dependent on the group’s pace and weather conditions.
- Accessing ice caves, moulins, or any other glacial feature is not guaranteed: Due to the dynamic nature of the Mendenhall Glacier features are in constant change. Your guide will assess each available feature prior to accessing to determine if it’s safe to explore.
- Every participant must sign a Release of Liability/Assumption of Risk Form at the start of each trip. Alterations and/or deletions to the form are not permitted.
- Due to various fitness abilities and weather variable, we prefer clients not schedule other excursions directly before or after our trip. Please let us know if your clients have another excursion booked on the same day.
- Due to the inherent risks involved in this type of tour, pregnant guests are not permitted to participate.
- Client must provide their own sturdy hiking boots for this trip.
- Clients must be able to hike for at least 6 hours/9 miles round trip on steep, rocky, slippery, and uneven terrain carrying a 10 lbs backpack.
Departure Times: Please click on the Book Your Trip tab for updated departure times.
Dates of Operation: May 15th – September 30th, 2020
Group Size: Minimum of 2, Maximum of 6
Minimum Age: 12 years old.
Activity Level: Very Strenuous, only recommended for highly active and physically fit.
- Name of client(s)
- Cell phone contact number of client
- Desired trip date and departure time
- Name of cruise ship or hotel
- Clients’ ages, especially anyone under the age of 18
- Rain gear & shoe sizes (please specify male or female)
- Any pertinent medical issues, allergies or dietary restrictions
- Primary language spoken, if other than English