Do-It-Yourself kayaking, camping, and wildlife viewing at your pace!
From the dense temperate rain forest to the steep, barren glacially carved fjords; from the brown bear ambling along the shore to the humpback whales magnificent breach, the Inside Passage waterways of Southeast Alaska offer the scenery and wildlife to inspire kayakers of all abilities. Experience the untamed water and wilderness surrounding Juneau on your own. Watch brown bears at the Pack Creek Brown Bear Sanctuary and in the Kootznoowoo Wilderness of Admiralty Island. Paddle with humpback whales in the Channel Islands State Marine Park. Kayak
around sheer cliffs and calving glaciers within the Fords Terror-Tracy Arm Wilderness.
For those with sea kayaking experience, an appetite for adventure, and a desire to do it on their own, Above and Beyond Alaska has the local knowledge and equipment available to help you.
Pack Creek is a world-renowned bear viewing site on Admiralty Island. The 1600 square mile island is almost entirely a protected Wilderness that is home to one of the largest concentrations of brown bears and bald eagles anywhere in the world. There are a variety of kayak rental packages available to explore this pristine area.
- Take a float plane round-trip into the Pack Creek area. From your landing site you can camp and kayak in any direction for one or more days
- Paddle between Juneau and Pack Creek along Seymour Canal then catch a float plane ride home. This trip can be done in three or more days
Above and Beyond Alaska’s kayak rental shop is located 10 miles from downtown Juneau in Auke Bay. Plan your adventure, rent a kayak, and get out on the water. Here are just a few of the trips you could embark upon:
- Island hop along the Channel Islands State Marine Park searching for humpback whales, stellar sea lions, harbor seals, and orca
- Search for marine and terrestrial wildlife in Berners Bay
- Catch a boat shuttle to the Fords Terror-Tracy Arm Wilderness to explore the glacially carved fjords and tidewater glaciers of Endicott and Tray Arms.