Above & Beyond Alaska, LLC is an employee-owned company whose owners have been exploring the Tongass National Forest, glaciers of the Juneau Icefield, and waters of Alaska’s inside passage for over 25 years and guiding others since 2002. ABAK offers our clients an opportunity to explore any of the environments found around Juneau by kayak, foot, boat, plane, or helicopter. Our goal is to provide a complete Alaskan wilderness experience by sharing with our clients our passion, technical know-how, and natural history knowledge.
ABAK is a small, but diverse company that offers the greatest variety of trips of any guiding operation in Southeast Alaska. We operate in several distinct “zones” around Juneau (Mendenhall Glacier Recreation Area, Channel Islands State Marine Park, Lemon Glacier Alpine, Admiralty Island and the Pack Creek Zoological Area, and Tracy Arm-Fords Terror Wilderness) offering a mix of day and multi-day trips kayaking and glacier trekking. Additionally, we also operate the Alaska Boat & Kayak Center in Auke Bay providing kayak rentals and classes to both locals and travelers.
Above and Beyond Alaska, LLC provides seasonal work opportunities in a variety of positions. Join our Crew and experience a beautiful part of Alaska. You might even make some friends and contacts that will lead you to adventures around the world! Our community of outdoor enthusiasts work hard and, often, play harder. We believe that in order to have the required enthusiasm to work in the outdoor eco-tourism industry in Alaska you need to possess a personal passion for learning, exploring, and sharing. Working with ABAK you will not only be signing up for a job, but joining one big, adventurous family.
Contact us if you have any additional questions that you cannot find the answer to on our website:
Working in the eco-tourism industry in the Southeast Alaska environment is not for everyone. Everyday can be demanding, fast-paced, and challenging requiring our staff to maintain a positive attitude during hardship, adapt to changing situations, solve problems, and manage risk all while meeting the needs of our clients and providing excellent customer service.
ABAK is seeking applicants who:
- Are independent and reliable
- Have the flexibility to work an ever-changing schedule
- Consistently demonstrate empathy and enthusiasm
- Work well as part of a team and have strong communication skills
- Enjoy working with people and providing service that goes above and beyond
- Place an emphasis on safety and demonstrate conservative judgment and decision-making
- Love the outdoors…and don’t mind the rain
- Have the desire and ability to share their knowledge of the natural environments of Southeast Alaska and the history of Juneau and the Tongass
- Are open to learning and expanding their “people skills”, technical know-how and natural history knowledge
- Have physical stamina, fitness and no potential physical limitations and can lift and carry at least 50 pounds
- Have an unflagging honesty, sense of humor and respect for all others
- Are willing to work where needed and fill different roles for the company when asked
- For Guides: possess the appropriate technical skills to guide glacier trekking or kayaking trips (i.e. crevasse rescue, proper trekking and ice climbing technique, top-rope site management, spotting techniques, proper paddle strokes, assisted re-entries, advanced capsize rescues)
- For Guides: hold a certification in First Aid and CPR (an 8-hour American Red Cross First Aid/CPR course is the minimum requirement for guide staff – a WFR or EMT certification is preferred).
- All employees: need to have a First Aid and CPR certification
ABAK is seeking applicants who will:
- Take initiative and pitch in, work as a team, and follow routine procedures
- Arrive to work on time and ready without direct supervision
- Provide a guest experience that is safe, fun, and educational
- Provide accurate natural history information
- Respect their surroundings, equipment, fellow guides, and the environment
- Continue to build on their existing skills and knowledge base
2018 Summer Positions Available
While ABAK has a large number of returning staff every year, there is a variety of positions available each season. Check out the listings below for short descriptions of the work and responsibilities. Both part-time and full time are available for most positions. In order to drive passengers vans, you must be 21 and older.
Kayak Operations Manager – Full Time Year Round Position
- Manages the Alaska Boat & Kayak Center rental shop in Auke Bay harbor and the small retail store in ABAK office
- Responsibilities include: performing the daily duties of the Kayak Rental Shop staff, overseeing guided trip operations and logistics, answering phones and responding to emails, scheduling and maintaining the summer rental and guide schedule, training and overseeing staff, auditing staff time sheets and hours, maintaining department expense reports, ordering retail gear, auditing the daily schedule and daily close-out income sheets, maintaining the kayaks and accessories, maintaining the office supplies and copies of kayak informational resources
- Previous retail experience, excellent customer service skills, and knowledge of kayak industry is required
- Supervisor needs to be proficient at computers (MS office, POS systems) and prompt at answering emails
- Lead groups on interpretive coastal kayaking trips
- Share expertise on the ocean, coastline, rainforest, and glacial ecosystems in the Juneau area
- All Kayak Guides must have a minimum First Aid/CPR certification. Lead guides must have a Wilderness First Responder certification
- Must have sit-in kayak experience in a variety of conditions
- Guides will receive training in kayak paddling and rescue techniques as well as training specific for each trip location/type, although prior guiding and/or rescue experience is preferred
- Trips will vary in length from approximately 4 to 8 hours
- Kayak Guides may be responsible for operating company vehicles (7-15 passengers) for tours
- Guides hired solely as a Kayak Guide are encouraged to receive additional training to be able to work as a support staff
- Lead groups on our glacier-based trips, which includes canoeing, technical hiking, glacier trekking and ice climbing
- Guides must be able to share expertise on the rainforest, glacial and alpine ecosystems of the Juneau areaAll guides must have a minimum First Aid/CPR certification. Lead guides must have a Wilderness First Responder certification
- All Glacier Guides must have a minimum First Aid/CPR certification. Lead guides must have a Wilderness First Responder certification
- Experience trekking and climbing on bare-glacier is preferred.
- Will receive training in crevasse rescue, top-rope site management, glacier trekking techniques, spotting techniques, and specifics for each trip location/type
- Glacier Guides may be responsible for operating company vehicles (7-15 passengers) tours
- Trips will vary in length from approximately 4 to 8 hours
- Guides hired solely as a Glacier Guide are encouraged to receive additional training to be able to lead kayak and combo trips
Office & Support Staff Positions:
- Work in our office answering phones and responding to emails from our prospective clients, completing bookings and other administrative tasks as assigned
- Excellent customer service and writing skills are required
- Must be proficient at computers (MS Office), social media, and prompt at answering emails
- Works directly with the Dispatch Manager in the office.
- Responsible for dispatching all day trips and making any daily schedule changes that arise
- Helps maintain cleanliness of warehouse with support staff and assists with computer data entry for the dispatch departmen
- Must be proficient at computers (MS Office, Social Media) and prompt at answering emails
- Shuttle clients from their ships or hotels to one of our several operating zones
- Drivers will be expected to assist with some Support Staff tasks such as prepping and repairing gear, cleaning the warehouse, cleaning vehicles and basic maintenance
- Must have a clean driving record and be 21 or older
Vehicle Maintenance Tech
Responsibilities include: maintaining vehicles and conducting daily inspections, changing fluids and oils, managing a vehicle maintenance log, scheduling vehicle repairs with local mechanic shop, fueling and cleaning/washing vans daily, maintaining and repairing kayak and gear trailers.
Trip Support Staff
- Handle behind the scenes tasks and daily trip prep: packing and repairing gear, prepping snacks, filling water bottles, loading kayaks, heavy lifting of gear, transporting gear, assisting guides with outfitting clients, cleaning the warehouse, shopping for client food and supplies, cleaning vehicles
- Ideal applicants are flexible and ready to assist with last minute logistical problem solving
- Represent Above and Beyond Alaska as the first point of contact for the clients that meet us at the cruise ship docks in downtown Juneau
- Assist with day-to-day tour operations on the cruise ship docks, helping and entertaining passengers in the short period before their tour departs and acting as liaison with cruise line representatives before, during and after tours have departed
- Dock reps help to foster sales and settle daily accounting with cruise lines, as well as complete other administrative duties as assigned
- Must enjoy engaging in conversation and working in a fast paced environment while maintaining a positive and professional attitude
Kayak Shop Staff
- Located in Auke Bay by Statter Harbor, employees are expected to operate the Alaska Boat & Kayak Center Rental Shop.
- Responsibilities include: opening the shop, providing safety briefings and processing payment for kayak rentals, helping clients determine where to paddle by providing local paddling information, loading kayaks on vehicles, carrying kayaks down to launch ramp, maintaining and repairing kayaks and accessories, selling retail gear, and completing a daily close-out
- Must be proficient at computers (MS Office) and prompt at answering emails
Standard Employment Application
Visit our online application here: https://apply.coolworks.com/above-and-beyond-alaska/
Supplemental Application – Required for Driver or Captain Positions or for any applicant with driving violation in the past 3 years – Please complete for 2018 season